Friday, January 1, 2010

Suddenly Older

Dan came home from work this morning and said that Calvin seems older all of the sudden. I agree. He is now over the virus that made him super cranky and clingy over Christmas, and he has come out on the other side like a little kid instead of a baby.

His play has matured even in the last few days. Instead of just chewing and banging on everything (which he still does), he is enjoying opening and closing things, stacking cups inside of each other, and turning books all around in his hands.

His enjoyment of stories has changed, too. Before, he would sit and listen to short stories, but it was more a routine of him batting at the book than him loving the story. Now, he sits and points to the pictures and smiles at us when the story is finished.

Calvin has always cried and become very dependent when he is ready for a nap. Now is just putting his head down on the carpet, pillows, my shoulder, etc.

Before, Cal would drink maybe 4-5 ounces of milk at a feeding...with breaks and offering the bottle repeatedly. Lately, Calvin has been drinking between 6-8 ounces all at once. He is also getting more adventurous with foods...even trying a few bites of eggs, grilled cheese, and tortellini soup.

Up to this point, Calvin has been talking mostly in short vowel syllables. These last few days, he has been talking up a storm using long-winded combinations of sounds. He really seems to have stuff to say. I just wish I knew what it was.

Calvin has been walking between me and Dan as a game for a month or so, but he always crawled on his own. Now, Cal is "cruising" around the whole house like crazy. He pulls himself up everywhere and makes laps around the house holding onto whatever he can find.
Calvin is still crawling a lot....but more quickly for sure. Here is a video of Calvin's more advanced gimpy crawl. My favorite part is the excited panting.


Our little guy is growing up, and his little body is filling out, too (at least from what we can tell from seeing his sweet bod in the bath). I agree with what Dan said this morning to Calvin as he was laughing like crazy and walking all around him on the floor, "You are so fun right now." I think we've said that all along. But it is still true now.

4 comments:

  1. You're right! He does look so much more like a kid and not a baby! What a sweet little guy! I miss you guys so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man your blog is awesome! Cal is the sweetest. He is a good role model for Mac!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could tell a difference in his appearance when I first saw the bath pic. What a cutie! Love & Hugs, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelly! I can't believe how big CJ is! Wow! And he looks like he'll be walking before we know it :) I just wanted to remind you to check your e-mail. I already made my flight and can't wait to see you guys! Have a wonderful day, and I will continue to be praying for you that God will bring people along to support you during this transition in North Carolina. God Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete