Sunday, July 13, 2014

Just Us

The park across the street from our house is amazing! A great play structure, splash park, biking trails that go on for way longer than the boys can handle, a pier out to Lake Ontario, a beach, and a lot of field space. There are always a ton of people there, and on the weekends huge groups gather together to spend the day together. Yesterday we saw a couple hundred people together in one part of the field eating, hanging out and playing games. It was pretty fun to watch their tug of war. 

Looking around at all these huge groups of people makes me realize how sweet and small our little family is here in Toronto together. It is just us.  I met a precious older couple in the grocery store the other day (Leo and Leanne). Leo told me about how he is one of 14 children. His parents had 70 grandchildren, and now the family numbers more than 400. Kind of blows my mind thinking that our little family could someday grow and grow like that. That must be what Abraham thought when God told him his children would number more than all the stars in the sky. He probably looked at all the huge families around him. Then he looked at his elderly wife Sarah and thought, really God? I know God has not promised me the same as Abraham, but I trust that He has brought our whole family here to Toronto to fulfill His purposes. I know he will use us if we walk with him in obedience. But right now I feel so small compared to all the other families and communities. I'm looking forward to seeing how God shows himself to us. 

Right now we are just having sweet time together when Dan is home. I love being isolated together in some ways.  Here are some highlights from this weekend.

Dan telling the guys a story before bed. They LOVE this, and I am always so impressed by how Dan conjures up a story out of nowhere each time. He has a series going right now with three butterfly characters: Boopy-Boopy, Doopy, and Loopy. They are exact replicas of Calvin, Jack, and Luke, but the boys don't always realize it =).

An ice cream truck camps out at the park each evening, so we finally got a treat last night! So fun!


Walking home from the park….Luke is starting to fight the stroller each time. "I walk? I walk?" he says with such sweet pleading little eyes. Pretty hard to resist!


This is at our picnic spot last night. We rode our bikes to this other park that is a bit of a peninsula into the lake. It was so pretty to watch the sail boats out there!

More picnic...


And a spot we stopped to climb around on rocks on the way home from our picnic.



3 comments:

  1. What a treat the lake is! A perfect gift from the gift Giver along with this precious family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift the park has become for all of you! I can't imagine how isolated you would feel without it. You don't even have to drive to get away for a breather. Praise God! I'm glad you had a beautiful day for a Happy Birthday picnic, too! Lots of hugs & kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Dan's bedtime stories to the boys. Such a special time for all of you. Memories that will never be forgotten!

    ReplyDelete