Friday, April 15, 2011

New Glasses!

Yesterday I took Calvin to pick out glasses. The optician seemed to think he needed frames that are the equivalent of orthopedic shoes....rubber, thick, and huge on his face. As he was wearing them, I just kept thinking they would hide our little Cal.

He's a pretty cautious kid, and he has learned to be obedient from our experience with patching for all this time, so I asked for plan B. Here is what we came up with. The stickers are still on the lenses here, but you can get an idea. I guess time will tell if plan B was a good decision or not.
Calvin was such a trooper for this whole process. He held a matchbox car in each hand as the optician and I fit glasses to his face.

When patched, Cal sees things that are in a range from about 3-10 or so feet from his face pretty well. Unfortunately, that means that when he is reading (while patched) he has to put his left eye practically on top of a picture to see it. It always kind of makes me sad for him. The new bifocal should help with that!

After the glasses fitting, we headed to TCBY for a little date while Jack slept. Yum!
I think Jack enjoyed his nap while we were gone, though we both missed the little guy. Calvin kept saying, "want Jack come too" in the car. I was thankful that Hockey kept him for me, but I was really happy to see his flailing limbs and big smile when we got back, too.

2 comments:

  1. Awe! I can't believe how much Cal looks like Dan in those pictures! What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes. I remember when your Dad and I took you to get your little glasses at 18 mos. You have it right. Cal is such a little trooper, and I am so thankful that he has the opportunity to have glasses to see better. Hugs & Kisses!! Nana

    ReplyDelete