Friday, August 20, 2010

Big Guy Stuff

I cannot stop calling Calvin "baby" even though he is undeniably a toddler (20 months). I also find myself calling him "big guy" more and more. He is physically growing up, but his personality certainly is maturing as well. Here is some of Cal's latest "big guy" stuff.

Baw! (Translation- "Ball!")
We hear this word 50 times a day. He says it when looking through books (I'm convinced he's flipping through the pages looking for balls), seeing spherical lawn ornaments, and of course seeing actual balls. I do not know why balls are so attractive....they don't make music, talk, or light up, but they are consistently Calvin's toy of choice. He likes to shoot baskets with them (how did he learn this?), throw them, catch them, kick them, hit them with bats and clubs, and most of all, carry them around.
And, it doesn't really matter if it is actually a ball or not. A balled-up sock, for example, is close enough to play with!



Bathroom Reading
Calvin has taken to reading "in the bathroom." Since I have been unable to lift Calvin for the last month, I've been changing his diaper on the floor. He has started grabbing a book and reading while I get to work. One of his favorites is "My Big Truck Book." Though it is way to big to be holding and reading while on the ground, he seems to make it work.

Longer Books
Calvin's favorite book lately is about a tadpole named Alphonse. At the mention of his name, Calvin starts smiling, laughing, and looking for this book. This is the first long book Calvin has ever wanted to sit through. There are quite a few words on each page, and he sits and listens while looking around at all the pictures. I know he most likely does not understand the plot, so I'd love to know what about the book makes him so excited.

Here Dan is reading "Alphonse" with Cal. Right before the picture was taken, Calvin had his right arm around Dan's neck. Pretty sweet.


Playing Outside
Last summer I saw our neighbors sitting out in their driveway while their toddler stayed in the yard and played. I didn't think Calvin would be so independent already. This month, Calvin has been playing with his buckets, shovels, frisbees, lawnmower, and balls out in the driveway a couple times a day while I sit (instead of chase!). He occasionally tests the boundaries by inching closer and closer to the street, just waiting for me to respond. Then he smiles and comes back to play. This week, we had some fun with water since it was so hot.








These are Calvin's dancing fingers. We have a CD player in the garage that Calvin always wants to listen to while we are outside. The neighbors must love it =).

Building Towers
We clean up Legos at least 5 times a day. Calvin has been building towers by himself, and I keep thinking he can't be old enough for this! The Lego container reassures me that yes, in fact, the appropriate age is 1 1/2 to 5 years. This little man finds himself on the top of many towers these days!

Babysitting
Calvin has taken to his little brother Jack, and he often wants to give him kisses and take care of him. He seems to think it is his responsibility to keep an eye on him while he is sleeping. Calvin goes over to Jack's "crib" downstairs and yells in his ear "Dah" which I think is "Jack." Needless to say, Jack often wakes up, so most of his naps are upstairs these days. When Jack is crying, Calvin always tells me about it by making a mocking cry and pointing to Jack. If Jack is upstairs, Calvin climbs the stairs to go get him.

Pouting
Part of growing into a two year old is whining and pouting...at least that is what I am assuming from Calvin's behavior. When we ask Cal to do something that he doesn't want to do, he has started emphatically shaking his head "no" or whimpering as if the idea alone is offensive. Here is the face/posture we get when we ask him to come when he doesn't want to. The stairs have become a common battle ground lately. Little goober.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! A new post! I was so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Precious little guys. Can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post, Kel! I love seeing your guys and you!! :)

    ReplyDelete