Thursday, August 2, 2012

Finally Cooperating

I feel like since Luke was born our family has been operating a bit like an awkward teenager....growing, but not really running smoothly.  The last couple of days have been so much better on all fronts. It is like we are starting to cooperate instead of jockeying for position.  

A HUGE component of this is me giving up control of naps for the guys. I really wanted Calvin and Jack to sleep sweetly together in the same room to make tutoring easier.  I realized a couple days ago that this is not fair to anyone, and trying to control the boys to submission was only hurting all of us.  So, Calvin has been napping in our bedroom getting the rest he needs, Jack has been alseep within a few minutes in his room (compared to staying awake for 2 hours before), and Luke and I have been enjoying the quiet. Thank you, Lord, for showing me that I was expecting too much! So much better now....and tutoring has been fine even with this arrangement! 

Maybe it is the extra rest for us all, but the boys have been cooperating instead of competing with me and each other, too. Calvin has been eager to help Jack out with picking up dropped forks at meals, fixing his cement mixer truck, and even putting on his shoes.  So sweet to my eyes!

Unfortunately, Calvin has been equally eager to help Luke...

I was giving Luke a bath yesterday and both older boys wanted to "help."  I put Luke on Jack's bed and asked Calvin if he would like to play with Luke while I filled up the tub.  "Play" usually looks like Calvin giving Luke kisses and gently rubbing his head while saying things like, "It's okay, Luke."

It did involve all of those things, however, it also meant more. I turned into the bedroom to get Luke from the bed and Calvin met me at the doorway.....with a look of strain and fear on his face and Luke in his arms! Luke was completely content...he did not know how close he was to being dropped. Calvin did....I gasped, but did not have to say a word. The look on Calvin's face told me that he will not try this again. And later that day he asked me, "Why did God make babies so heavy?"  Yeah.

Here were the sweet helpful moments at Luke's bath time.








2 comments:

  1. What a joy to read! Thank you so much for sharing that Kelly. And I don't laugh out loud often, but Calvin's comment had me "lol"-ing for a long time!

    ReplyDelete