Friday, December 11, 2009

Push and Ride Racer


I am constantly struggling to know when to intervene and make everything better for Cal and when to let him learn something. While teaching, I saw the results for some kids who received too much intervention, and I don't want to go there, but it is hard to know the line.

Here are some times recently where this has come up:

Steering the Push and Ride Racer:

Calvin has been loving this new toy from his Uncle Ben. He confidently walks behind it without anyone helping him...except to steer. He walks laps around our downstairs and loves it! However, Cal repeatedly runs into things and whines until I help him steer him clear. I've been helping him, showing him how I am turning while moving the car, but helping nonetheless. Not sure if this is the right answer or not.

I don't have a picture of his walking behind the racer, but you get the idea from seeing him ride it above. Cal has been doing what Dan is doing in the picture. Also, Dan's lips look funny because he was making a motor-ish sound. What a good dad!

Climbing the stairs:

We have 13 stairs connecting the two floors of our house, and I think they are steeper than normal. Last night when Dan came home, Calvin independently climbed every single one to get to Dan while he was changing out of his work clothes. It was quite an effort, and obviously I was centimeters behind him the whole way. This decision was obvious, even for me.....of course I don't let him learn this the hard way =).


Throwing the lamb blankie overboard:

Calvin has really been enjoying nap time and night time...too much. He stands in his crib and throws everything he can overboard...mostly socks and his blankie. This is fine until he realizes he wants his blankie to sleep. There has been some screaming lately because I've decided not to go up and give it back. Breaks my heart, but I don't want to play that game.

Even though I feel like I'm being tough, I think Cal is still a pretty happy guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment