Wednesday, December 5, 2012

All By Myself

I remember not wanting to read a book called Little Critter: All By Myself to Calvin....way back when. I know my own tendency to want to do everything independently out of pride instead of recognizing my need for help from God and others. Somehow I thought I could shelter him from his own little sinful heart. 

Jack has started saying "I do all my sel-p."  Turns out, I know it is good...God created good pride as well as sinful pride. These guys love to watch their bodies and skills grow. Calvin delights in being able to touch the counter, dress himself, and ride his bike. Jack does a little happy dance and laugh when he slips his shoes onto his own feet, threads his own arms into his shirt sleeves, and gets his own milk out of the refrigerator. 

And I am so proud of them, too....

Jack has been vacuuming with the attachment lately, and he has a little hop in his step. Wish I had that same hop when I was vacuuming! 




Calvin has been increasingly taking responsibility for both Jack and Luke. He'll say, "Mommy, I take care of my brothers." And he really does. He'll help Jack open doors on toys and hand dropped toys back to Luke to make him happy. Yesterday he just asked to hold Luke...of course I had to get a picture.


Though I'm sure he'll be even happier when he's able to move around on his own instead of just perch on his elbows and hold his toys to bite them, he seems to be pretty content as a dependent for now!


Lest I made yet another construction site post....I'll share about our experience there this morning here. 

We had front row seats again, and we got a drive by from the dump truck and excavator. Actually, the excavator driver rolled his truck right next to us and got out inviting the boys to go for a ride. Of course they declined, but I would have loved for them to get to do that! Maybe someday. Maybe I should have just gone! =)  

The driver waved/ talked to us a couple times. At one point he stopped to tell me that he first started riding in diggers on his grandfather's lap when he was Cal's age. He drove his first digger when he was 13, and now he is 54 and wouldn't be doing anything else. 

I hope the guys find an occupation that they love that much someday.  For right now, Cal says he'd choose to drive the excavator and Jack says he'd choose the dump truck. That sounds about right.

5 comments:

  1. Your boys would love a trip to the Johns' place in MD one day! Mac was scared of riding in the heavy equipment at first too, but now they all love it. What an awesome activity God has given you guys to share together.

    The reason I started writing this comment is because of the sweet picture of Calvin holding Luke...look how he has his fingers interlocked with Luke's. That is too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Amanda. Cal is such a sweet big brother. They are easy to be sweet to though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog through danekasblog.blogspot.com (Itty Bitty); love your post! I had a simlar experience with my kids with a forest grapple and a knuckleboom loader, and the driver was saying that he was driving these himself when he was my son's age (4!). Fun, though. I love your blog. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can see the instructions here: http://www.oncallmommy.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful experience for the boys--to see the big machinery at work and the nice men driving, too. You're a good Mommy for taking them there instead of being afraid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The independence the boys are showing and your allowing them to want to help is wonderful. They'll not grow up to be boys/men who wait for their moms/wives to wait on them hand and foot. I'm so glad for them.

    ReplyDelete