Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How he likes it, anyway

Calvin turned 2 the day after Christmas. I've spent (well, only a little) time feeling guilty about not making more of his birthday this year. But now I've concluded that his "big" day was just like Cal would have wanted it had he planned it himself.

Calvin is happiest when he is part of something bigger than himself (though, don't get me wrong, he certainly enjoys attention, too!). When Dan and I are working on a project and he's just along for the ride, he loves it! That is pretty much what happened the whole week of Christmas surrounding his birthday.

He got to go outside with Uncle "B", Uncle Sam, and Daddy.
And he got to tag along with Grandma while she hiked into the woods with Dan and Uncle Sam to find a good spot for a future treehouse.

Calvin loved eating his meals like a big-guy at the bar and with Pappa. This could also be what helped him gain weight recently.

And he sat on Uncle Sammy's lap to watch him play dominoes.

For Cal's actual birthday celebration, we went to Culver's with my mom, Aunt Kim, Uncle Jason, and Addie. It was fun to just be together...even if there were not hats, noise-makers, or streamers. Thanks for taking this picture, mom!
We put 2 little candles in a big Texas sheet cake and Calvin stifled a smile while we sang to him. He then watched as Dan blew out the candles.
And of course he liked eating it! Though he resists eating most of the time, he has a sweet tooth like his mama.
Calvin recently gained enough weight to register just above the 1%ile. The doctor was pleased, though I think unless we keep eating sweets like it's the holidays, I think he'll probably drop back down.

Calvin got one really special present from my dad, who I wish Calvin could meet. My dad made this rocking horse for me when I was a little girl, and my mom kept it for us to give to our children. My dad would love Calvin (and Jack and Addie) up one side and down the other, so I'm sure he would love to see Calvin riding this horse that he built 30 years ago.



1 comment: