Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cold Water

The sun has been fierce the last week or so as the temperatures have been in the 90's. We're becoming well-acquainted with the swimming pool in the neighborhood. This is Calvin's swim suit for the year (so far, anyway, since the floating suit I found at a garage sale was a dud).
The water is still very cold by my standards, and I think Calvin's face suggests he thinks so, too!

We've been spending a lot of time in the baby pool where Calvin stands against the side and plays with his bath cups, inflated animals, and a bucket. Occasionally, he decides to walk across the pool into the "deep end" which is about 1 1/2 feet. While doing this a couple days ago, Cal slipped a fell. His body flipped up so that I could see his face as his stunned wide-open eyes looked at me while his head sank towards the bottom of the pool. I expected quite a display following this scary experience, but he was just fine. Just when I think I have the little guy figured out, he surprises me!

It is fun to take Calvin into the big pool to pull him through the water. He's pretty cuddly while it takes a minute to acclimate to having his chest in the water.
Then, it is time for the real fun! While Calvin is not yet kicking like he did as a little guy last summer, he still loves to feel the water moving against his body while we pull him through the water. Maybe as the water warms up a bit Calvin will get a little more adventurous. We've only been able to stay in the deeper water for about 10 minutes before he's had enough. It takes me about 2 minutes, so I think he's doing pretty well. =)


The stroller is usually our chariot to and from the pool since it is only a 10 minute walk or so. The ball in Cal's hands here has been like a new "blankie." He used to throw it and chase it all the time. Now, he just wants to hold it like a security blanket! He wants to be held with the ball in his hands, and he wants to drink his milk with the ball his his hands. Holding the ball in the stroller requires Cal to only look out a small window to the side of the ball, but apparently it is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment