Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Growing Pains

The boys and I are going through a little rough patch right now.  This happens about when I just start feeling like I've got it all together. For the last couple weeks I've felt like I have nothing together. I'm sure it is due to normal changes in each of us, but I can't say that I like it.

Calvin has started demanding a different type of attention as he gets older and needs stimulation of a different sort. He's loving doing "school" with me and cutting and pasting, but he is not as interested in free pretend play these days. I feel like he and I are one as he is always with me and talking to me. Sweet, but exhausting over time.

Jack has been interested in doing more complicated things with Calvin, which is great! It just requires a lot of help when I don't always have the time or hands to do it.

Luke has been growing teeth! Exciting, but he has not been so thrilled with the process. His schedule is thrown to the wind a lot of days since he has a hard time sleeping. He has, however, started feeding himself a little bit. He really likes broccoli...maybe because it is so easy to hold?

And Calvin and Jack insisted (though it is not quite true) that they love it enough to warrant a picture, too! Goobers.


Normal stuff, but I have been less than content with the process. I definitely realizing that there is such sweetness in all of this, it has just been feeling a bit overwhelming.

Their little bodies are changing so obviously right now.  I love seeing Jack's little pot-belly and rounded calves getting thicker.  Calvin's spindly legs are starting to look so long.  And Luke little knuckle dimples and chubby cheeks are pretty irresistible!  I love how distinct each of their little bodies are!

Jack tells me that God has been making him grow (said in a rumbly voice) "so big!" I'm hoping that soon that will mean being potty trained given his 4 poops a day from eating so much food!

Luke is growing teeth...2 a couple weeks ago and 2 more this week. He hasn't been sleeping well with it, but having him asleep in my chest from being worn out is a sweet by-product.



Calvin has been eating a lot of food! The other day he ate 5 (he insists 10) pancakes for breakfast. Plus eggs and a smoothie. I guess to keep up with the growth, he has been sleeping during nap time more frequently. On Sunday I walked in our room (his nap room) to find him asleep sitting up. He's always fought sleep to the bitter end!

A friend sent me this encouragement the other day:

Psalm 127:1-4

"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.

In vain you rise early and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat- for he grants sleep to those he loves.


Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,  the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, are the children of ones youth."



I love that the weight of a lot of work, children, and sleep are all connected and controlled by the Lord.  I am thankful that this is true and pray that God will give me Himself, His perspective, and His peace while we are in the middle of this time of growth.

2 comments:

  1. that last paragraph is powerful, Kelly, and speaks to a lot of us. praying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that you find a way to get more rest to renew your strength and outlook. You are a wonderful Mom with wonderful little boys and a wonderful father. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete