Friday, March 5, 2010

Pull-Along Snail and Some Serious Babble

This pull-along snail was given to Cal when he was just an infant (thanks Vidovic family!), and lately we've gotten it out. Calvin loves it! I would not have thought that he'd understand and appreciate the concept of pulling something along behind him, but he seems to get it. I love to watch him play in general, but there is something so sweet to me about watching him play with "Mr. Snail." Here are some of his favorite pulling styles.

The between-the-legs pull. I keep waiting for Cal to trip, but he has become pretty adept at it.

If I were Calvin, I'd call this one "Come on Little Buddy!" Cal pulls the string in short jerks getting the snail to move forward toward him. The sail usually eventually ends up upside down or mixed up in its string.
The side-by-side pull. This requires a bit of a constant salute on Cal's part. I wish I could get a head-on view of this.

I have not captured the last method...we'll call it "Snail goes for a ride." Calvin's posture in this picture can help you get the idea of how it is performed. Cal picks the string up high enough to elevate the sail. He walks around giving the snail a ride.

Calvin has had a lot to say recently. It never sounds exactly the same, but it is fair to say that he has graduated past the standard "eh!" He now says, "Ba" "Da" "Dis" "Ma" and other such syllables. He was trying to communicate something important to me this afternoon, but I apparently wasn't understanding.


Here are a few unposted pictures from February.

Cal loves riding in this carrier. The back pack works great with my increasing belly.

Dan dared to have Calvin sit up in the sled, and after a little practice, he enjoyed it!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that picture of Cal on the sled with Dan. Maybe I'll put it on my phone and crop Dan out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cal waving Hi! around the couch is adorable! Maybe a little static electricity in the house?

    ReplyDelete