Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Eye Surgery....Again


Calvin has already seen a ophthalmologist here in Durham. Here is the latest about Cal's eyes. The ophthalmologist said that he needs to have surgery again...this time to completely remove the lens in his left eye =(. Apparently, there is a spot (where the blood vessel was connected) that is large and in the center of his vision. The retina now looks good after the last surgery, but he said that the brain will not recognize vision in his left eye if we don't remove the lens. The surgery is scheduled for July 2nd (was going to be 20th, but they just changed it to get him in earler), and it is outpatient like last time. The effects will linger this time, though, as he'll have to wear a contact from now on (unless we choose to have a new lens inserted surgically when he is much older). I guess we can leave them in for a week at a time, so that is nice, but I am still wondering how we'll get him to hold still enough to insert and remove contacts. I guess we'll figure it out.

The good news about this is that Dr. Capone, who did the last surgery, chose not to remove the lens even though there was a spot because he thought that the retina was the limiting factor. I think the retina has recovered better than he expected so that now the lens is the limiting factor. Maybe he'll have better than 20/200 vision someday. We know that God made Calvin just as He wanted, and we know Calvin's vision is in His hands.

Please pray for Calvin as he goes in next week on Thursday.

You can see the spot that makes the lens ineffective in this picture. It looks like a white dot in the left red eye.

5 comments:

  1. poor little Calvin and poor mommy and daddy. that's a lot of extra work. we'll pray for him and you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly & Dan,

    I am sorry to hear about the troubles Calvin is having with his eye. As you have already stated God made little Calvin as He wanted. Things will work our for the best.

    I have gone throught life pretty much with one eye since I was born as I have lazy eye. I didn't start wearing contacts at Calvin's age but when I started my Mom & Dad had to put them in my eyes becuase I could not.

    Even with my poor eye sight I was still able to be Dan's Personal Catcher even if my batting average was less than my weight. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

    Love, Cody

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you set up a blog! We can't wait to continue to follow along! Cal is so big and he looks just like Dan! We'll be thinking and praying for you all next Thursday.

    P.S. We've got just the right girl for Cal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rocke's. We'll be praying about tomorrow's surgery. Sounds like you're in good hands. Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dan and Kelly and Little Cal, We are both very concerned and thinking of all of you today. Pray that God will extend His tender mercies once more and every little and big thing goes well tomorrow. The Little Guy is in such good hands and he is so very dear. Love you so much! Aunt Sheryl and (Uncle!) Bill

    ReplyDelete