Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The September Vacuum

September was a pretty crazy month for us, but I believe God we were able to see God providing for us really clearly due to the craziness of it all.

Dan

Dan's exhaustion from the first 3 months of internship kind of reached a head at the beginning of September. Dan was tired and wondering if he had taken a wrong turn by choosing this path for his life. Though we both believe that God has led us to this place at this time, it is difficult to maintain perspective in the thick of the storm. God provided reassurance and rest by giving Dan time to play golf and sleep while Cal and I were away, sending Dan encouragement from friends for his birthday, and offering Dan recognition for his good work from the residents he has been working with so far this year. God is providing just what we need.

The Big Trip

For the second two weeks in September, I took Cal to Indiana and Michigan to see family and be with friends for two weddings, the Rosanders and Claytons! Here are the highlights (without pictures, sorry, I didn't take any pictures with my own camera).

1. Flying Solo

Calvin didn't sleep at all, but he was a trooper. I gave myself a migraine on the 2nd flight due to pent up anxiety worrying about flying with Cal alone. A nice lady saw I was struggling and held Calvin for me during the flight. When we landed in Indianapolis after 9 hours of travel, I kept telling Calvin, "We did it! We did it!" The flight home 2 weeks later, was so much easier since I knew what to expect.

2. Aunt Kim, Uncle Jason, and Cousin Addie

We got to stay with Kim, Jason, and Addie for some of our time in Indianapolis, which was so great! I really enjoyed getting to see them for more than a day or 2. Addie, who is almost 4, was so sweet with "Baby Calvin." He was sleeping in her bedroom and started to cry, as he always does before falling asleep. Though we talked to Addie about anticipating this for a few minutes, she started telling Calvin, "Stop crying, Baby Calvin!" She meant well. =)

3. Grandma Judy

I got to see my mom nearly every day I was in Indianapolis as she came over to see us as much as she could. It was great to see her with Calvin for some substantial time. I can tell the she loves him a lot, and he was really content while she held him, played with him, and fed him.

4. The Weddings

I loved being a part of Josh & Erin and Kyle & Sondra's special days! They have all been such good friends to Dan and me (and Cal), and it was a blessing to be there for their weddings. I went home just feeling so lucky to be surrounded with such great friends. I also had such a sense of God's being in control of Dan, Cal, and me. I know that He is the one to bring together and sustain our friends in marriage, and it was good to be reminded of the same for my family at a time where Dan and I don't get to see each other much.

5. The Papalias

I got to see my cousin, Shelley, and her family for the first time since right after Calvin was born while we were in Indy. It was so great to see and stay with them for a few nights. Joseph and James (freshmen in high school) were willing go give up their beds for us, and it was fun to hear about Julia's running success. It was fun to hear about old meets that I used to compete in while in middle school, though I must say she is much better than I was. =) Shelley and Joe are just amazing. I feel like I am at home while with them!

6. The Rockes

Calvin and I got to spend a few days in Fort Wayne with Grandma and Grandpa and Uncle Sam and Aunt Abbey. It was great to be together so much! I was spoiled having so many people to take care of Calvin and people around all day to talk to! I got to run nearly every day there by myself while Ace watched Cal...I felt so light! Ace came with me to both weddings and took care of Calvin so that I could take part in the festivities. I am so thankful that she would do that with me. I was really able to relax knowing he was in good hands.

7. Ann Arbor

Dan and I still miss our friends in Ann Arbor, and I felt like I had a 2 day reunion while there for Kyle and Sondra's wedding. It was so sweet. Ace and I took Calvin back to Emerson to see my former students and fellow teachers. Wow, the kids really filled me up as their excitement for seeing me showed that they love me as much as I love them. I am so thankful that I could have the time with them that I did over the last 4 years.

It was also amazing to reconnect with so many people from church during Kyle and Sondra's wedding festivities. I felt like I just wanted to talk and talk and talk to everyone I saw. It really filled me up to be with everyone.

We stayed with the Fuchs family while in Ann Arbor, and they just treated us like family. I have known their daughter, Megan, for about 4 years. I have always known that she is an amazing girl, and I can see where she gets her faith and sweet spirit.


8. Home Sweet Home

It was great to visit family and friends, but I really missed Dan. Cal and I both reached for his arms when he met us in the Durham airport. Though I felt like I was "going home" during our trip to Indiana and Michigan, it is good to be home in North Carolina.

2 comments:

  1. Seeing you and Calvin was exactly what I needed and warmed my heart and gave me the energy I needed. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    We can definitely relate to pretty much everything you wrote about here. Feeling the stress in the thick of the storm, but finding God's affirmation, traveling alone with a baby (the only time I did this I got the flu), and the joy of being with family and friends after having to move far away.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete